Per Florida Building Code (105.1), a permit is required to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish or change the occupancy of a building or structure, or to erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, convert or replace any impact-resistant coverings, electrical, gas, mechanical or plumbing system; the installation of which is regulated by technical code.
It is best to contact the Town's Building Services Department early on in the planning process of any kind of building or remodeling project to find out what permits are needed.
239-765-0202 ext. 2
Visit the permitting section on the Town's website.
Watch an educational session about permitting conducted at a Town Council meeting and led by staff from the Building Services Department. Session starts at 1:30:43
In general, condo remodeling of any kind almost always requires a permit due to the potential impact on other condos in the building. New construction of any building or structure large or small (pool, porch, deck, garage, house) will require some level of permitting. The below lists are a general guide for common projects in homes or condos.
PLEASE ALWAYS CONTACT THE TOWN when you are planning a project to find out what permits are required for your specific project. Every project has differences that could make permitting necessary. Speaking directly with the Town's permitting staff is the best course of action to make sure your particular project is properly covered by the appropriate permits.
Common projects that DO require a permit:
- Air conditioning - new installation or system replacement
- Bathtub - remodeling, removal
- Ceiling fans – installations which alter system wiring or circuits
- Condo renovations (cabinets, tile flooring, windows, plumbing, electrical, etc)
- Doors (exterior) – new installation or replacement
- Driveway and parking lot - recoating
- Dryer vent - new installation
- Electric shades or blinds - new installation with new electrical work
- Exhaust fan - new installation
- Hot tub - new installation or removal
- Lighting - new installation
- Liquefied Petroleum (LP) Tanks - above ground or underground
- Pool - new installation or removal
- Shower tile or floor pan - removal
- Stairs - inside and outside
- Storm shutters - new installation or replacement
- Sprinkler system - inside or outside
- Windows – new installation or replacement
Please call us to discuss these common projects as the specifics of the situation may or may not make a permit necessary.
- Debris removal from a bathroom remodel
- Flood damage remediation
- Irrigation system installation in the yard
- Mold removal