NEED ZONING APPROVAL FOR YOUR NEW BUSINESS?
HOME BASED OR COMMERCIAL
Do you plan to operate your new business from your residence or from a commercial location? If you plan to operate a business from your home follow the procedure. If you plan to operate a business at a commercial location please follow the Home Occupation procedure. Commercial Location
If your business will be operated from your home you will need a simple zoning approval from the Town before submitting your documentation to Lee County. Please be advised, however, that only certain types of businesses qualify to be operated as a home occupation. To qualify, the business use must be incidental and subordinate to the use of the structure as a residence and there must be no exterior indication that the swelling is being used for any purpose other than a residence.
To apply for a home occupation approval, please follow the steps below:
1. Download the Home Occupation packet here and the Lee County Local Business Tax Receipt application here.
2. Read, review, sign and notarize the Home Occupation Affidavit
3. Fill out the Lee County Business Tax Receipt Application
4. Bring both documents and the fee of $25 to Town Hall – 2525 Estero Boulevard Fort Myers Beach, FL 33931 - for processing
5. Zoning Department will review the application, process the fee and sign off on the Lee County Business Tax Receipt Application
6. Take the signed Business Tax Receipt Application to any Lee County Tax Collector office to obtain final approval.
Contact the Lee County Tax Collector at (239) 533-6000 or online at www.leetc.com with any Local Business Tax Receipt questions.
*** Please be advised, the Town of Fort Myers Beach does not allow mobile vending. All commercial businesses must be conducted from a commercially-zoned store front/building location ***
1. A floor plan showing the existing layout of your space. Indicate the size of the space, including existing walls, partitions, counters, electrical layout, plumbing fixtures, doorways, restrooms, etc. Also indicate the "Use" or "Name of the business on either side of the subject space." This is to enable the inspectors to quickly locate your space.
2. A parking diagram indicating the location of all parking spaces on the property. If your location is in a multiple occupancy complex, please indicate on the parking diagram which spaces are allocated to your unit.
3. Garbage collection verification . You are required by Lee County Ordinance #95-19 to make provisions for garbage collection for your business. Please provide proof of garbage collection service and submit with your Certificate of Use application. This could be a copy of your garbage bill, copy of your lease which states landlord will provide garbage collection services, etc. Advanced Disposal provides garbage collection and recycling services for all areas of the Town of Fort Myers Beach. Contact Advanced Disposal at: (239) 334-1224 or fax at (239) 433-2550
4. A completed Lee County Business Tax Account Application . Download the application here.
5. Fee . The Town of Fort Myers Beach charges a fee of $100 for a Certificate of Use permit.
6. If there is a “change of use” at the proposed location, you may be subject to the payment of impact fees.
7. Food Handling: If your business involves any handling of food, contact the Division of Hotels and Restaurants at (850) . 487-1395
8. Buying an Existing Business and/or Changing Name: A Certificate of Use is required even if you are only changing the name of the business. Certificate of Use permits will be issued in your name and still require inspections.
To apply for a Certificate of Use for a business at a Commercial Location please submit the Certificate of Use including the following required documents: application
Garbage Collection Verification
Completed Lee County Business Tax Account Application
Once the USE permit application is submitted and payment/required documents are received, inspections will be required prior to approval and issuance of the Certificate of Use.
***Please be advised, you are required to call and schedule these required inspections***
Code Enforcement – call the Town of Fort Myers Beach Inspection line at (239) 765-0202 ext 1350 and reference the permit number (received when you apply) and the inspection type
Bu ilding Inspection - call the Town of Fort Myers Beach Inspection line at (239) 765-0202 ext 1350 and reference the permit number (received when you apply) and the inspection type
Completing the Process
After all inspection approvals are received by our office, your Certificate of Use will be issued, allowing you to occupy the location and obtain your Local Business Tax Receipt from the Lee County Tax Collector. Take the Certificate of Use to the nearest Lee County Tax Collector office (for locations visit: www.leetc.com or call: (239) 533-6000). You MUST have both a Certificate of Use and a Local Business Tax Receipt in order to open your business.
IMPORTANT NOTE REGARDING SIGNS
Additional permits are required for any new signs to be erected or for any modification of an existing sign for your business. All sign permits must be applied for and installed by a registered general or sign contractor. Click here to download the sign application.
Home Occupation packet
Certificate of Use application
Lee County Business Tax Account Application