How do I acquire a demolition permit?
A demolition (demo) permit must be obtained before any structure is demolished/removed. A demo permit is secured through the Town by the demolition contractor. The demo permit application is located at the Building Services Applications and Forms page: https://www.fortmyersbeachfl.gov/1069/Building-Services-Applications-Forms
After issuance of a demo permit, the contractor must request and pass inspections from the Lee County Utilities Department, the Town of Fort Myers Beach (FMB) Utilities Department, and the FMB Building Services Division. The purpose is to ensure that the sewer lateral and water meter are properly capped off before demolition begins.
After obtaining a demolition permit, the following steps must be completed by the demolition contractor:
- A copy of the permit inspection board and all approved permitting documents must remain posted in a weather-protected condition at the job site, visible from the street.
- The existing sewer lateral must be capped off and the Lee County Utilities Department must conduct an inspection before it is covered. Email the Lee County Sewer Disconnect Form, found at the link below, to LCUNewinstalls@leegov.com; https://www.fortmyersbeachfl.gov/DocumentCenter/View/16454/LEE-COUNTY-FORM-Fort-Myers-Beach-Demo-App-Revised--1-31-20
- The capping of the existing sewer lateral and the associated inspection is to be requested by the contractor and passed by Town Utilities prior to commencing demolition work on the structure. A copy of an approval letter from Lee County Utilities must be received by the Town Building Services Division at email@example.com prior to commencing demolition work on the structure. For additional questions contact Lee County Utilities at 239-533-8399.
- The existing water meter must be capped off on the customer’s side of right of way. The FMB Utilities Department must conduct an inspection before it is covered. Email the Town of Fort Myers Beach Utilities Department at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 239-463-9914 to request an inspection and approval. The capping of the existing water meter and the associated inspection is to be requested by the contractor and passed by FMB Utilities prior to covering the work and commencing demolition work on the structure.
- It is the contractor’s responsibility to request and pass all inspections from Lee County Utilities, FMB Utilities, and the FMB Building Services Division when the associated work steps are complete. The contractor is solely responsible for any damages to sewer or water systems.